Friday, February 3, 2012

My Favorite Race


The Credit Union Cherry Blossom 10 Miler http://cherryblossom.org/, held annually in Washington, DC the first weekend of April, is hands down my favorite run . For me, it's within easy driving distance, parking is close to the start and finish, and the race takes you around many of DC's historic national monuments at sunrise. Gorgeous.

Personally I find 10 miles to be an ideal distance: just long enough to require some mental stamina, but a few miles shorter than a half marathon so training for it doesn't have to be as intense. And it's definitely not so long that you just want to curl up in a ball and die at the end (that would be the marathon). For those seeking to stretch past a 10K, try this distance or a 15K.

I have one major tip for this race: if you have posted any race times that allow you to get into a corral that is closer to the start, you should try for it. The streets are narrow at some points of this race and it will only lead to frustration for you if you want to run your best time. Otherwise, you will be dodging in and out of people and curb running the entire time.

Registration for this race is already closed for this year, which has become so popular it is now a lottery entry, usually beginning the first week of December. But as with most races, there are always charity slots.

Oh yeah, I said I'd talk about where I am on my own race training. See ya tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment